Our client is a new non-profit organization focused on arts education based on a very successful education model which has transformed the lives of hundreds of its neighbors by providing visual arts education after school for high school students and demand-driven professional training for the unemployed, underemployed and adults in transition. This entity will soon be in Puerto Rico and needs to recruit an Executive Director to assist them to start-up their operations in a world-class facility to be located at San Juan, PR.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have strategic and operational responsibility for The Center.
- Will work closely with the Board of Directors to realize the successful opening of the organization, including hiring and onboarding staff, launching programs, establishing daily operations, and overseeing facility renovations and maintenance.
- Key duties of this role include fundraising, financial management, community outreach, communications, strategic planning, and evaluation.
- Will effectively implement the organization’s Model while ensuring it is sufficiently responsive to the dynamics of the local community. Once the organization is operational, s/he will develop and maintain deep knowledge of core programming, business plans, and strategic outcomes.
- Ensure the design and completion of a strategic business planning process for the organization that is responsive to the local environment.
- Execute the organization’s strategic plan in accordance with approved timeline and scope
- Communicate progress toward strategic planning goals to board of directors and stakeholders
Fundraising and Communications
- Oversee capital campaign to complete facility renovations and launch daily operations
- Collaborate with board of directors to devise, monitor, and report on all fundraising activities
- Establish relationships and build partnerships with potential funders and community leaders
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations, with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Be an external local presence that publishes and communicates program results
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
Leadership and Management
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong board of directors; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations and future activities
- Hire, lead, coach, develop, and retain The Center’s high-performance senior management team
- Establish and ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize The Center’s volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Ensure effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, local stakeholders, and other constituents
The ED will be thoroughly committed to The Center’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable qualifications, experience, and other skills include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- At least 10 years of senior management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Track record implementing grassroots projects with community participation
- Trajectory effectively leading an outcomes-based organization and staff
- At least 5 – 8 years of experience interacting at some level with development/fundraising
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to its next stage of growth
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and communications experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-drive, and self-directed